Tuesday, June 30, 2009
Sunday, June 28, 2009
We spent a little over 3 hours there and saw just over half of the park. We'll definately go back. For now, we'll have to settle for our own zoo...at home.
Saturday, June 27, 2009
1. Avoid eating out on holidays and Saturday nights. The sheer volume of customers guarantees that most kitchens will be pushed beyond their ability to produce a high-quality dish.
2. There are almost never any sick days in the restaurant business. A busboy with a kid to support isn't going to stay home and miss out on $100 because he's got strep throat. And these are the people handling your food.
3. When customers' dissatisfaction devolves into personal attacks, adulterating food or drink is a convenient way for servers to exact covert vengeance. Some waiters can and do spit in people's food.
4. Never say "I'm friends with the owner." Restaurant owners don't have friends. This marks you as a clueless poseur the moment you walk in the door.
5. Treat others as you want to be treated. (Yes, people need to be reminded of this.
6. Don't snap your fingers to get our attention. Remember, we have shears that cut through bone in the kitchen.
7. Don't order meals that aren't on the menu. You're forcing the chef to cook something he doesn't make on a regular basis. If he makes the same entrée 10,000 times a month, the odds are good that the dish will be a home run every time.
8. Splitting entrées is okay, but don't ask for water, lemon, and sugar so you can make your own lemonade. What's next, grapes so you can press your own wine?
9. If you find a waiter you like, always ask to be seated in his or her section. Tell all your friends so they'll start asking for that server as well. You've just made that waiter look indispensable to the owner. The server will be grateful and take good care of you.
10. If you can't afford to leave a tip, you can't afford to eat in the restaurant. Servers could be giving 20 to 40 percent to the busboys, bartenders, maître d', or hostess.
11. Always examine the check. Sometimes large parties are unaware that a gratuity has been added to the bill, so they tip on top of it. Waiters "facilitate" this error. It's dishonest, it's wrong-and I did it all the time.
12. If you want to hang out, that's fine. But increase the tip to make up for money the server would have made if he or she had had another seating at that table.
13. Never, ever come in 15 minutes before closing time. The cooks are tired and will cook your dinner right away. So while you're chitchatting over salads, your entrées will be languishing under the heat lamp while the dishwasher is spraying industrial-strength, carcinogenic cleaning solvents in their immediate vicinity.
From Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter by The Waiter (Ecco/HarperCollins)
Friday, June 26, 2009
And as I blog...the carpet layers are in the basement. What started May 15 will soon be over, although it's funny how one big project spawns another.
I'm on board with more guilt-free pleasures.
Monday, June 22, 2009
Real Live Preacher
I wish I had pictures to post of my friend Janene's visit. We spent more time conversating then photographing....which is a good thing.
Timing is everything. I feel like I've received some well-timed advice this week as well. This well-timed advice is welcome.
Thank you all for putting up with the hours of my anxiety. ;) Peace does come.
Sunday, June 21, 2009
Our Dad is not a whiner.
Our Dad is not boring.Our Dad is not Randy Jackson.
Our Dad is not good at saying NO. He's not the earliest riser. He's not the type to not help someone move. He's not a father of boys and yet attends every scout camp. He's not about to give up his obsession with watches and hats. He's not disloyal. He's not unfriendly.
Our Dad is not only our Dad...but he's the BEST DAD! Happy Father's Day...
Love, Chloe, Hunter and Bridger
Thursday, June 18, 2009
Sunday, June 14, 2009
It's the soup of the day.
Ummmm, I'll have that.
Okay, so I'm about as smart as Floyd and Harry...but instead of soup...we're talking soap.
That's right. Soap. What is crazier then trying to take on a new hobby? I don't know. But someone talked me into it. :)
It shouldn't be that hard right? Just melt the soap base...add fragrance...pour in a mold and cool. Yeah. Not so easy. We're still in the experimental phase but so far we've got some good smelling soap.
We've been researching and found some techniques to try out. One of the things that this new adventure led to was the discovery that we could make our own "scentsy" scents. You know those wax cubes you melt in the little pots to make your house smell good? Well, they are pretty pricey and hard to find. We made up our own batch of them by melting wax and adding fragrance and pouring into the boxes the original scentsy cubes come in. I put a cube in my burner on thursday and I'm still using the same one. It actually lasts longer and I figure it costs about 65 cents a box to make rather than $2.99 a box to buy. It takes almost no time and isn't too hard to do.
Friday, June 12, 2009
When it came time to plan Chloe's 16th birthday, 2 years ago, I wanted to incorporate the aqua color into her theme so I decided to go with C & Co., like Tiffany and Company...for Chloe and Company. We used a lot of aqua, white and chocolate brown. Ever since then, I can't seem to get the color from my mind. I have used it in several rooms and places in my home. Over the last couple of years the color has evolved but I always come back to aqua.My first blue project was 2 years ago in Bridger's room...she has a beach theme in there...Then I painted my laundry room a blue-grey color. A little out there for me. But then I realized that 2 years ago I bought a blue washer and dryer, so it worked out. And then I loved aqua so much that I painted the bathroom between Chloe and Hunter's bedroom.
I think my passion for this shade of color might take over my house. There's one shade of blue that you won't find anywhere but here....
unless you count our blood. Cuz, have I mentioned this before?....we bleed Blue!! Do you think BYU would let me do a aqua make-over?
I'm feelin' these blues...
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
My favorite promise right now is....I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me.
Monday, June 8, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
Plus, I wanted to say...it feels good to be loved. I was just thinking that today.
1. Do you like Blue cheese dressing? I love it, but it doesn't always love me.
2.. Have you ever smoked cigarettes? I'd plead the 5th on the grounds that this might incriminate me but then if I don't admit it...then it's obvious I did. I've never had to explain this one to my children yet, but it could be a discussion now....on what NOT to do.
3. Do you own a gun? Yes, several.
4. What flavor of Kool Aid was your favorite? Ooooh, not much for koolaid, except the lemonade.
5. Do you get nervous before doctor appointments? yes, specially the who-haw Dr.
6. What do you think of hot dogs? Love them, although I really don't think they are made of dog (quote from Chance)...and I prefer them HOT.
7. Favorite Christmas movie? Christmas Story
8. What do you prefer to drink in the morning? A tall glass of ice water, first thing.
9. Can you do push ups? Ha! I loved Christina's answer.."This was Paula’s answer. I think I like that one best, although they make them in chocolate, so I’d have to go with those! - Sure….I prefer the orange flavored ones….. yum!". So, can I do push-ups...yes, but they aren't pretty.
10. What’s your favorite piece of jewelry? My watch
11. I lost question 11 somehow!
12. Do you have A.D.D.? Yep, almost positive.
13. Do you wear glasses? No.
14. Middle name? Dawn
15.Name 3 thoughts at this exact moment: (1) Wish that daughter would stop slamming the door. (2) What should I wear to the summer company party? (3) Can I get out of going to the summer company party?
16. Name 2 or 3 drinks you regularly drink? Water, Diet Coke and Water
17. Current worry? Superficial...when will I get this weight off?
18. Current hate right now? loneliness
19. Favorite place to be? reading a book in a chaise in the sun.
20. How did you bring in the New Year? I don't even remember...
21. Where would you like to go? Europe, like now.
22. Name three people who will complete this: prolly Hunter
23. Do you own slippers? Yes, momma's homemade
24. What color shirt are you wearing? Black...do I ever not wear black?
25. Do you like sleeping on satin sheets? No way.
26. Can you whistle? Yes, many different ways. I practice ALL the time, just ask my kids, they'll tell you. I'm pretty good at it too.
27. Where are you now? In my husband's office with my computer plugged into his tv, thanks to the drowned basement.
28. Would you be a pirate? Ah, no...pirates have got to be smelly.
29. What songs do you sing in the shower? Patsy Cline, and I do her pretty good too.
30. Favorite Girl’s Name? Oh boy, I think about girl names ALL the time....Oakley, Mia, Trixie, Lucy, Esther, Mae...I love girl names. I still write them down and save them.
31. Favorite boy’s name? Oskar
32. What’s in your pocket right now? Uh...lint.
33. Last thing that made you laugh? Chloe this morning...she said..."I got some agua in my nose!" Funny at the time, guess you had to be there.
34. What vehicle do you drive? Denali
35. Worst injury you’ve ever had? Worst? Gosh, I've had stitches more than a time or two. I don't remember this one so it must have been bad...falling on the fireplace mantle and cutting my head open.
36. Do you love where you live? Ah ha, the magic question. I love the livability of KC but not the scenery or weather. I love living on the golf course but not the rules. I love living in the city but I also love country life. Love how friends are like family here but miss family. Sigh. No where is perfect.
37. How many TVs do you have in your house? Three. I bet we're way below the national average!
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Tuesday, June 2, 2009
In the mean time...here's one of those getting to know you lists...Maybe someday me or my kids will enjoy reading them...
1. What is your occupation right now? Rockin' the world of Momhood.
2. What color are your socks right now? Aaackkk...no socks...it's summer baby!
3. What are you listening to right now? Chloe is watching CSI reruns in the other room.
4. What was the last thing that you ate? String cheese
5. Can you drive a stick shift? yep...and love doing it too.
6. Last person you spoke to on the phone? Boyd
7. Do you like the person who sent this to you? What kind of silly question is this???
8. How old are you today? 39 and holding.
9. What is your favorite sport to watch on TV? the lumberjack contests of the Timber Carnival
10. What is your favorite drink? Ice cold water
11. Have you ever dyed your hair? Uh, duh. And more.
12. Favorite food? Anything with chocolate, or made of potatoes...
13. What is the last movie you watched? Up!
14. Favorite day of the year? Any day the sun is out and it's 75 degrees with a light breeze..
15. How do you vent anger? I swear.
16. What was your favorite toy as a child? Barbies, Drowsy Doll, Christi Dolls, army men
17. What is your favorite season? Fall
18. Cherries or Blueberries? Blueberries.
19. Do you want your friends to answer this? Sure! I invite them to post it on their blogs, too.
20. Who is the most likely to post it? Hunter
21. Who is least likely to fill it out?
22. Living arrangements? A house, although technically we are still without the basement.
23. When was the last time you cried? Today.
24. What is on the floor of your closet? Everything that should be on hangers.
25. Who is the friend you have had the longest? Mom
26. What did you do last night? Watched a movie about the man who invented the intermittent windshield wipers and sued Ford for stealing the idea...can't remember the name of the movie.
27. What are you most afraid of? Something happening to my children.
28. Plain, cheese, or spicy hamburgers? Oh, a spicy cheeseburger would be nice.
29. Favorite dog breed? Whatever dog doesn't run away every time you open the door.
30. Favorite day of the week? Mondays.
31. How many states have you lived in? 6
32. Diamonds or pearls? Diamonds
33. What is your favorite flower? Petunias
Hopefully inspiration will hit tonight!